Consumers are more interested than ever in sustainable and eco-friendly products and learning about the businesses that make these products. A 2020 study revealed that consumers globally are four to six times more likely to purchase from and champion purpose-driven companies. And according to the 2021 Global Sustainability Study, 85 percent of people indicate they have shifted their purchase behavior toward being more sustainable in the past five years.
Eco-friendly promo merch has become increasingly popular in recent years as consumers have become more conscious of their impact on the environment. In addition to being better for the environment, eco-friendly promo merch can also be seen as a reflection of your organization’s values and commitment to sustainability. This can help to build trust and loyalty with your clients, donors, students and employees who prioritize sustainability in their purchasing decisions.
To help guide us, Magellan’s Sustainability Culture Team is charged with implementing sustainable business practices for our company, educating our team on sustainability best practices, having best-in-class eco-friendly product offerings for our clients, and collaborating with our production partners to reduce waste.
Many companies and organizations value giving back to the community and there are some great options when you are thinking about promotional products. This can be an excellent way to raise brand awareness and demonstrate your company or organization’s commitment to social responsibility. The number of promo merch options that additionally support a worthy cause are up tenfold over the past five years.
Find a cause that aligns with the brand or mission of your organization and that will resonate with your customers and your employees. Here are some examples.
- Denik notebooks and journals fund the ongoing work of education projects worldwide.
- Each year, MiiR invests a portion of revenue into nonprofit organizations whose work empowers communities while benefiting the health of their natural environments. Every MiiR product comes with a Give Code that allows you to experience the story behind your purchase
- Modern Sprout is on a mission to help reforest the future – for every One for One Tree Kit purchased, a donation is made to plant a tree. An example of a use for this kit is for organizations to give them to their staff to create awareness, engagement and excitement around their sustainability initiatives.
- Basecamp has pledged to donate a minimum of $100,000 of their product sales each year to support Wounded Warrior Project’s mission to honor and empower wounded warriors including products like the Basecamp Hammock and Basecamp Tundra Bottle.
Stepping up for Sustainability
As sustainability becomes a higher priority for people everywhere, demand for eco-friendly products is on the rise. Businesses are taking strides to be more environmentally conscious, and consumers are more mindful of what they’re buying. In fact, 66% of shoppers reported that they would spend more on a product if it came from a sustainable brand (Nielsen), proving that eco-friendly products aren’t just good for the environment – they’re good for business, too. Here are some brands that are doing good things for the planet.
- As part of an effort to reduce its carbon footprint, CamelBak has introduced water bottles made with innovative Tritan™ Renew, a durable plastic consisting of 50% recycled material, such as the Eddy+.
- Parkland has been about sustainability from Day 1. Since the company was founded in 2015, the exterior fabric of every single product has been made from 100% recycled plastic bottles like the Parkland Rider Drawstring Bag.
- Thule® makes high-quality products like the Thule Subterra Powershuttle that inspire people to live an active life outdoors. Thule® is a bluesign® system partner, meaning strict criteria is met regarding energy efficiency, work safety, environmental and consumer protection, and exclusion of harmful substances from production.
- Klean Kanteen is a family and employee-owned B Corp, with a commitment to a stringent set of internationally recognized standards for social and environmental transparency, accountability and performance. They offer products like the Klean Kanteen Eco Classic Sport Cap Bottle.
Products Made from Sustainable and Recycled Materials
Consumers are also very interested in products that are better for the planet and practices that are socially responsible. This includes eco-friendly apparel, reusable drinkware and tote bags made from recycled materials. People everywhere are making efforts to ditch single-use plastics for reusable alternatives and buy products made with sustainable materials, so it’s no surprise that eco-friendly items make great gifts and giveaways. Products made with materials that are better for the planet include recycled plastic, organic cotton, FSC®-certified bamboo and more.
Here are some of our favorite items, including some products that go the extra mile!
Reusable Drinkware and Food Storage
Reusable Tote Bags
Reusable Bag, made from recycled PET fabric
Big Thunder Tote Bag
Recycled 5oz Cotton Twill Grocery Tote
Out of the Ocean Pocket Tote – Made from 100% Ocean Plastic; this bag removes the equivalent of 3 plastic water bottles from our oceans and waterways
Cupanion Tote Bag – This tote is made of recycled bottles and eliminates single-use bags. Each bag connects to the Fill it Forward app through the QR code printed directly on the bag. Users scan with each reuse to track their social and environmental impact.
Used Coffee Grounds & Plastic Water Bottles Shirt – The Elemental Coffee Shirt is an innovative and sustainable product made from 50% used coffee grounds and 50% recycled plastic bottles. In addition to being environmentally friendly, the fabric also naturally dries quickly, is moisture-wicking, and has anti-odor features.
Sustainable Dress Sock – Made from 80% recycled cotton, this is a great sustainable option as it prevents additional textile waste and requires far fewer resources than conventional or organic cotton, while also providing a quality sock that can include complex logos and patterns knit into the socks.
Recycled Cable Knit Beanie – This cozy eco-friendly choice is available in a variety of colors.
There are so many high quality eco-friendly and sustainable products to choose from. Contact your Magellan Account Manager when you are ready to discuss the best options for your next event, campaign or gift opportunity.